The Making of PAPAparticipating artists' press agency
PAPA -participating artists' press agency- is an international, curated network of artist-correspondents, initiated and led by Lino Hellings. PAPA is nomadic, it doesn't have a fixed office but works from temporary offices in cities all over the world. Projects can be self-initiated or commissioned by third parties. PAPA is an instrument for world mapping, gently fixing even the most stubborn pieces into meaningful patterns. PAPA's street level observations inspire a broad audience and inform specialist arenas as art, city development, politics and the news industry.
PAPA's working method is based on 'reading the street'. The correspondents go out with a camera and picture 'what catches the eye' with a clear question in the head and on appropriate locations. Subsequently, the photographers 'read the pictures out loud' by adding texts to the pictures. During a project or commission new images and texts are posted on the shared photo blog of PAPA every day.
The Making of PAPA combines a DIY manual, an introduction to the cities in which PAPA has operated so far, visual essays by a mix of photographers and a text on the bottom-up creation of PAPA and its first adventures.
Photographs and captions by:
- Shahidul Alam
- Brazil/Sao Paulo
- Zé Barretta, Luciana Camargo, Ines Correa, Felipe Denuzzo, Marcelo Ferrelli, Giovana Pasquini, Sylvia Sanchez
- Elena Chigibaeva, Nargiz Chynalieva, Nellya Dzhamanbaeva, Samat Mambetshaev, Tatyana Mihnevich, Angelina Mokh, Meka Murato, Raisat Musaeva, Anastasia Slastnikova, Sapargul Turdubekova, Tatyana Zelenskaja
- Netherlands/The Hague and Rotterdam
- Erika Blikman, Maurice Bogaert, Robin van 't Haar, Rob van Maanen, Nies Medema, Martijn Nieuwenhuis
- Andrew Esiebo, Toye Gbade, Eremina Jumbo, Zemaye Okediji, Tuoyo Omagba, Adolphus Opara, Israel Ophori, Folarin Shasanya
- Marcin Szczepanski, Lino Hellings
- compilation and text
- Lino Hellings
- Lino Hellings, Nienke Terpsma, Hans Aarsman
- graphic design
- Nienke Terpsma
- paperback | 240 pp | 17 x 24 cm
- € 30.00